Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mexican Food...in Israel part 2


So obviously my search for Mexican food in Israel has not come to an end. Recently I checked out Mike's Place in Jerusalem. They have a number of Mexican-American choices on the menu like burritos, tacos, fajitas, and nachos. I've known this for awhile, but Mike's Place closed their location in Jerusalem, so I never got a chance to check it out. Their new Jerusalem location opened last month and has succeeded in attracting a lot of tourists and expats very quickly. They are now located on Yafo street near Kikar Tzion, i.e. in the center of town.

So I visited and gave it a try. The service was nice although the waitress was clearly inexperienced and a little overwhelmed. Everyone who works there speaks English very well (with many native speakers). Their menu is also exclusively in English, which is a little weird for a restaurant in Israel, but hey, it's Jerusalem.

I ordered a chicken burrito and a beer. They didn't have the beer I ordered, but unfortunately I did receive my "burrito." It's sad but Mexican food is so rare in Israel that even a completely American place with a menu full of supposedly Mexican-American options falls way, way short. My "burrito" tasted like a bunch of Shawarma chicken meat wrapped up in a tortilla. On top of that, since Mike's Place in Jerusalem is actually a kosher restaurant, they tried to be innovative by adding some sort of soy "sour cream." Needless to say, it didn't hit the mark, and they would have been far better off leaving out any dairy substitutes. You don't need dairy or dairy substitutes to make a good burrito.

I guess I can't really complain since Mike's Place is mostly a bar and not known for food. Nevertheless I wouldn't recommend it for anyone seeking out Mexican food, although maybe if you drink enough the burritos will start to taste good.

No comments:

Post a Comment